Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs) – High Levels of Manual Handling Issues in the Catering Industry
HSE’s 2014-15 statistics show that MSD injuries remain prevalent in the UK Food and Drink Sector. Of all the RIDDOR reports received by HSE for the Sector, 19% related to injuries from lifting and handling. Accordingly, HSE encourages employers to review their compliance with the law, and in doing so ask themselves:
- Have they an effective policy on managing MSDs?
- Are they avoiding hazardous manual handling operations so far as is reasonably practicable?
- If hazardous loads have to be manually handled, are you adequately assessing them?
- What method are you using in this Manual Handling Assessment
- Is your assessment method and training reducing the risk of injury so far as is reasonably practicable?
- Which control measures (including practical task-specific MSD training) are being used?
- Have you a Recipe for Safety in your Manual Handling Toolkit?