Children and young people can demonstrate challenging behaviour. School staff may therefore be required to positively handle children and young people to prevent them harming themselves or others. It is important that those involved in these situations are aware of the legalities surrounding positive handling. This course provides a grounding in those legalities and the principles of positive handling.
|Guided Learning Hours||Minimum Contact Time||Course Price|
|Guided Learning Hours: hours||Minimum Contact Time: hours||Course Price: £TBC|
Learning and Assessment--
Total Qualification Time (TQT) is an estimate of the total length of time it is expected that a learner will typically take to achieve and demonstrate the level of attainment necessary for the award of the qualification i.e. to achieve all learning outcomes.
TQT for this course is 12 hours for the workbook and 6 hours for physical intervention.
Minimum Contact Hours: 6 hours plus assessment.
To gain this qualification, candidates must:
- successfully answer written short answer questions
- complete the course Workbook.
- be able to demonstrate positive handling techniques safely.
This course consists of two units:
Pre-course learning and classroom-based learning.
LO 1. Understand the difference between restrictive and non-restrictive physical intervention.
LO 2 Understand the law relating to disengagement and physical intervention when working with young people and vulnerable adults.
LO 3. Know the risk factors associated with physical intervention.
- Assessment: Short answer questions, assessment and completion of Course Workbook
- Consolidation briefing and Q&A session
- Practical application of physical tasks in a safe environment.
You must be 18 or over. You must be able to provide sufficient ID as specified in the SIA requirements.
All assessment will be conducted in English. Before being assessed, you must have language skills equivalent to:
- B1 Level qualification
- An ESOL qualification at (Level 1) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
- A functional skills Level 1 in English.